This page contains information about the 90th IEEE Region 8 Committee Meeting held in Malta on 25-27 April 2008.
- to get from the airport to your hotel, taking a taxi is the best option as there is no hotel shuttle service. We encourage you to purchase vouchers at the taxi booth in the terminal (the airport is very small). A ride from the airport to either hotel should cost around 16EUR.
- the mains supply in Malta uses the ‘British’ system of three rectangular pins for the plugs and sockets (220V, 50Hz), so both Continental Europeans and North Americans need to bring adaptors for their laptops.
- As of 1st January 2008, the Maltese Lira ceased to exist. Euro is the official currency.
- Malta has two official languages, Maltese and English.
- Although tap water is not dangerous, it is recommended to drink mineral water.
- Tipping rate is about 10%.
- during the meeting, you may expect outside temperature between 14°C/57°F and 19°C/66°F, mostly sunny and dry.
- if you plan to drive in Malta, remember to drive on the left lane.
- A map of Malta ( map_malta) indicating the location of the hotels. Navigate Malta through Google Maps.
- For more complete information, download the Malta travel guide ( Malta_travel_guide_V3) prepared by Tony Davies.
- Download the information update about the Sections Congress 2008: sections_congress_update (Tony Davies)
- questionnaire about the Sections Congress 2008: sections_congress_update, to be sent to Tony Davies
- Travel information can be found on the following sites www.visitmalta.com , www.maltairport.com , www.airmalta.com, www.gov.mt.
- Read the introduction to the Robert’s Rule of Order ( SC08_questions) and the Simplified Meetings and Parliamentary Procedures ( intro_robert_rules).
Note that for people staying at another hotel, the limit for accommodation per night is 100 euros.
- download the reimbursement form: Simplified_Parliamentary_Rules
- download the reimbursement guidelines: r8_expenses_sheet
|time||Libra C||Libra A/B||Gemini|
|Friday, 25th April 2008|
|IEEE buffet breakfast (Companions welcome)|
in Region 8
Rolf Remshardt, Aleksandar Szabo
|IEEE buffet lunch|
|Conference organisation in Region 8
Samantha Padilla & Francisco Sandoval
|Sections Congress Update
Mo & Ferial El Hawary & Tony Davies
|Steps to Becoming an IEEE Fellow
Joe Lillie & Charles Turner
|Presentation of GOLD and student activities in Egypt
M. Younis, S. Shaheen & N. Amirah
|Education Activities in Region 8
Doug Gorham & Fanny Klett
Joe Lillie & Cecelia Jankowski
|Meeting with the Malta section|
|Welcome reception (Companions welcome)|
|1||Call to Order||J-G. Remy|
|2||Welcome to Malta||C. J. Debono|
|3||Roll Call – Introduction of delegates
|4||Robert’s Rules of Order Overview
|5||Adoption of Agenda||Approved||C. Stasopoulos|
|5a||Adoption of consent agenda
|6||Approval of Region 8 Committee Meeting Minutes – Bucharest Oct 2007||Consent Agenda|
|7||IEEE President’s Presentation
|8||IEEE President Elect’s Presentation
|9||MGA VP Presentation – Update on MGA Workshop
|9a||Reserved for actions from Workshop|
|10||Update on Region 8 Finances
|10a||Approval of 2008 Region 8 Budget||Action|
|11||Site Selection – 2009/2010 Region 8 Meetings (Italy, Portugal, Turkey)||Action||S. Donati, J. Costa Freire, B. Yüksel / I. Tekin|
|12||Sections Congress Presentation – Workshop Results||Report||M. & F. El Hawary, T. Davies|
|12a||Reserved for actions from Workshop|
|13||Conference Presentation – Workshop Results
||Report||S. Padilla, F. Sandoval|
|13a||Reserved for actions from Workshop|
|Lunch with candidates for Directorship Presentations|
|14||Presentation of the outcomes of the workshops (Fellows, Professional Activities, Membership Development, Students Activities, GOLD, Technical Activities, Industry Relations, Chapters/Society links, Education Activities) held on Friday
||Report||M. Bastiaans, E. Gutsmiedl, B. Palumbo, G. Paunonic, R. Remshardt, R. Marosy, C. Turner, J. Lillie, G. Capolino|
|14a||Reserved for actions from Workshops|
|14b||The R8 committee approves 15k$ for Membership Development to hold one Information and Training Meeting for Section MD and other officers in 2008.||Action||R. Remshardt|
|14c||Energy motions||Action||G. Al-Dandan|
|14d||Sections with many Student Branches in good standing far away from London that have problems in getting low cost airfare can apply for financial support for a maximum of $500, with a total maximum of 20k$.||Action||M. Bastiaans|
|14e||Legal status of sections||Presentation||R. Kahre|
|15||Education Product from EAB – Workshop Results||Report||D. Gorham, F. Klett|
|15a||Reserved for actions from Workshop|
|16||Establishment of Areas in Region 8||Discussion||B. Zajc|
|16a||Position Paper on Building R8-Areas||Discussion||A. Luxa|
|17||Awards & Recognition
|5:10PM||18||Recess Meeting||Action||J-G. Remy|
|8:00AM||19||Reconvene Meeting||Action||J-G. Remy|
|20||Reports from R8 Opcom|
|20a||Vice Chair – Membership Activities
|20b||Vice Chair – Student Activities
|20c||Vice Chair – Technical Activities
|20d||Vice Chair – Strategic Planning
|21||Presentation of Motions|
|21a||Support of proposal by Russia Northwest IEEE Section to hold EUROCON 2009||Consent Agenda||OpCom|
|21b||Approval of MELECON 2010 Proposal – Malta||Consent Agenda||OpCom|
|21c||Support of the 2008 IEEE HISTory of TELecommunication CONference (HISTELCON)||Consent Agenda||OpCom|
|21d||In Region 8, any section chair must be informed on any activity, nomination, request, proposal or application made by any of section’s entities or members in the territory of that section||Withdrawn||J-G. Remy|
|21e||Excellent volunteer award||Consent Agenda||V. Fouad-Hanna|
|21f||Region 8 Volunteer award||Consent Agenda||V. Fouad-Hanna|
|21g||Friends of IEEE Region 8 award||Consent Agenda||V. Fouad-Hanna|
|21h||Clementina Saduwa Award||Consent Agenda||V. Fouad-Hanna|
|21i||Partnership in the development of US Patents||Discussion||M. Adnan Al-Alaoui|
|23||Italy’s Invitation||S. Donati|
|24||Time/Date – Next Meeting||C. Stasopoulos|
|25||Final Comments and Adjournment||J-G. Remy|
- 27 February 2008: deadline for submitting additional agenda items
- 15 March 2008: registration deadline
- 23 March 2008: deadline for submitting section or subcommittee reports
- 10 April 2008: final agenda is put online
Input for the meeting
According to Region 8 Bylaws (R8-303.9) the Director is requesting input for the next meeting until 27 February, which is on time for the next Region 8 OpCom Meeting.
- Click here: Region_8_Agenda_Template_200707 to download the template for proposing agenda items.
Section or subcommittee reports (deadline 23 March 2008)
- Click here: template_section_report_malta to download the template for Section Report.
Once filled in, send these reports to email@example.com in Word (.doc) format (pdf is not allowed).
Registration is open only for the people having been invited to the meeting. If you have been invited, you have received an e-mail containing a link to the registration form. Please use that link to register.
Please respect the registration deadline stated in the important dates (above).