Local Student Paper Contest Events Program
The IEEE Region 8 Student Activities Committee is announcing the Local Student Paper Contest Events Program. This program calls for section student activities and student branch leaders to submit their own version of a local student paper contest and get the chance to showcase their papers on the Regional Student Paper Contest.
This is the first Call for proposals and there will be an additional two, in June and September. Please keep in mind that the total budget of the program is limited and that funds will be allocated according to the principle: of “first come, first served”.
- Deadline for the submission of the proposal: May 20, 2023
- Announcement on the funding decision: 2-3 weeks after the proposal submission deadline
- Event Implementation: June – November 2023 (please plan November 23 as the last date for implementation because of the R8 SPC deadline, December 1)
- Reporting Submission: by November 30, 2023
- Funding Release: December 2023
The program aims to:
- Giving incentives to IEEE Region 8 Sections and Student Branches for establishing local student paper contests;
- Provide an opportunity for students to showcase their technical skills;
- Promote Regional Student Paper Contest, as well as increase awareness and participation.
The program rules are the following:
- Applicants to this program can be either Sections or Student Branches;
- The application should include an endorsement letter:
- For Sections, only Section Chair, SSAC or SSR can provide an endorsement;
- For Student Branches, only Student Branch Chair or Counselor can provide an endorsement.
- Participants should be students affiliated with the organizing OU;
- The local SPC papers cannot get published in conference proceedings with ISBN;
- The local contest should follow the rules of R8 SPC;
- The finalist’s papers of these local events have to be submitted in the Regional Student Paper Contest:
- 1 finalist for OUs with less than 100 student members;
- 2 finalists for OUs with 100 – 199 student members;
- 3 finalists for OUs with more than 200 student members.
- Note: Student members include both Student Member Grade and Graduate Student Member Grade.
The proposal shall contain the following information:
- Summary of the proposal (max. 250 words)
- Description of the Local Student Paper Contest
- Proposed Title, Date, Venue and Organizing Team
- Preliminary Budget
- Suggested Program and Time Schedule
- Goals and KPIs
- Provide a short timeframe with milestones
- The event should be organized within the year of approval and in any case before the R8 SPC deadline for submissions
The submission shall:
- be a maximum of 6 pages (without endorsement letter);
- be in Times new roman font and 11 font size;
- be submitted in pdf format;
- include as an attachment the endorsement letter.
Proposals will be judged from R8 SAC in the following areas:
- Solid content and Planning;
- Alignment with program goals.
The entries which exceed the minimum standards will receive up to 300$ per Student Branch or up to 500$ per Section to be used as secured funding. The funding will be sent to the (parent) Section’s bank account after the submission and evaluation of the final report. The funding does not cover virtual platforms costs and covers up to 80% of the total budget. Funding Eligibility Criteria and Outcome Reporting Rules are applied to this program.
Application Form: Submit your Application HERE