Life Members – “Experience does not go on retreat”
IEEE Region 8 LM Coordinator: Charles W Turner
It is a privilege to be an IEEE Life Member (LM) with so much to contribute back to the engineering community and to the public in general. You are entitled to become a LM when your chronological age is at least 65 and the sum of your age and of your active membership duration reaches 100. Life Members are exempted of IEEE membership fees and pay lower fees at IEEE Conferences (at most – IEEE Student fees).
Most Life Member activities are performed by Life Member Affinity Groups (LMAG), similar to Chapters, established as part of an IEEE Section.
In summary the mission of Life Members Groups is to:
- Enhance and encourage interest in electrical and electronic engineering at secondary and tertiary (college) levels.
- Utilize the vast experience of LMs to impact the general public’s knowledge of electrical and electronic engineering and increase understanding of the role of engineers.
- Foster collaborations in pre-university education and encourage students to consider taking up engineering as a career.
- Promulgate the history of electrical engineering together with information and related technologies.
There are currently 12 LMAGs in the Region. These, including the contact details for the Chair, are;
- Benelux: Wim van Etten (email@example.com)
- Croatia: Ursic Srebrenka. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- France: Victor Fouad Hanna (email@example.com)
- Germany: Hans Ludwig Hartnagel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Greece: Athanasios Safacas (email@example.com)
- Hungary: Peter Arato (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Israel: Jacob Baal Schem (email@example.com)
- Italy: Antonio Savini (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lebanon: Usamah Farrukh (email@example.com)
- Slovenia: Baldomir Zajc (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spain: Jose A Delgado-Penin (email@example.com)
- Switzerland: Hugo Wyss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UK and Ireland: Charles Turner (email@example.com)
Life Member activities in Region 8 are coordinated by an appointed member of the Region 8 Committee. Actually the Region 8 Life Member coordinator is Charles W Turner and he can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are encouraging all Region 8 Sections with Life Members to establish a Life Member (LM) group. Life members are encouraged to make contact with their LMAG Chair to find out about opportunities to participate in Life member activities and to volunteer their services.
According to IEEE Life Member Group Procedures:
A petition to establish a LM Group requires the signature of 6 IEEE Members, including at least 2 Life Members.
In addition to a rebate of $200 to the Section, Life Member Groups are authorized by the IEEE Life Members Committee an annual budget not exceeding $1,000 towards meetings or activities approved in advance by the Regional LM Coordinator. The funding will be provided upon actual expenses.
Using existing groups’ experience, typical activities can range from: invited talks and seminars, technology-oriented meetings, history workshops and conferences, oral histories, and dialogue with other professional institutions, to initiating technical milestones, monitoring outside technical archives, museum projects, and social activities. This “Jubilee Year” is especially appropriate for bringing up “stories of the past” related to Electrical, Electronic and Computer engineering in the past century.
In their Sections, LM Groups should cooperate with other Society chapters, affinity groups (GOLD and WIE) as well as with student branches – on common projects. We encourage the forming of “History teams” to preserve the History of technological developments in which people participated through the use of the IEEE Global History Network (www.ieeeghn.org) .
LM Groups which report at least two meetings annually, will receive the 200 $ rebate from IEEE Member and Geographic Activities Board. As mentioned before, it is possible to apply to the Regional LM Coordinator for extra funding of up to 1,000 $ from the LMC.
For any advice or question, please contact email@example.com
Charles W Turner IEEE Region 8 Life Members Coordinator