In 2015, the IEEE Board of Directors adopted a motion to recover some of the costs incurred in supporting technically co-sponsored conferences (TCS) and publication of their papers in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
In January 2016, recovery of these costs began for all Society/Technical Council technically co-sponsored conferences. The IEEE Meetings, Conferences and Events (MCE) team developed and deployed procedures to collect these expenses during the conference application process.
Until recently, IEEE Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) had been absorbing the TCS expenses for its geographic units. The MGA Board has now approved a final policy for handling fees for all MGA Geographic Unit technically co-sponsored conferences.
For all conference applications received 1 January 2018 or later, in which an MGA Geographic Unit is a technical co-sponsor and there is no IEEE financial sponsorship, the MGA TCS Fee policy shall apply.
- This fee will be $1000 per TCS conference, and $15 per paper sent to IEEE Xplore
- If multiple IEEE Organizational Units (OUs) technically co-sponsor the same conference, the fee will be divided equally between all IEEE sponsors (i.e.: Society, Council, MGA Geographic Units)
- MGA Geographic Units will have the option to bill the TCS fees directly to the Conference
- An exception to this general policy – MGA will continue to pay these fees if the external (non-IEEE) financial sponsor has a National Society Agreement with IEEE or has a Sister Society Agreement with one or more of the IEEE Societies
- Starting 1 March 2018, IEEE MCE will retroactively deploy processes to collect the TCS fees for any conference application with technical co-sponsorship by an MGA Geographic Unit received on or after 1 January 2018