The Vice Chair (VC) of IEEE Region 8 Technical Activities (TA) is responsible for coordinating Region 8 activities related to:
- Chapters (Technical societies’ & Councils)
- Educational Activities (EA)
- Industry Relations.
For more information about the role – refer to the Region 8 Governing Documents.
- The VC TA shall create an atmosphere conducive for fostering innovative ideas and new initiatives that support Region 8 goals and objectives in the abovementioned areas, paving the road for successful implementation.
- The VC TA shall be elected by the Region 8 Committee from nominations provided by the Region 8 Nominations and Appointment Subcommittee. The term of his/her office shall be one year. After having served one term the VC shall be eligible to be re-elected for up to two additional one year terms.
- The VC TA shall report to Region 8 on TA subcommittees & coordinators activities.
- The VC TA shall work with the “wider IEEE” towards enabling the Region 8 vision. Download this figure: R8_TA_relations_higher_committees_v1.
The Region 8 Vice-Chair of Technical Activities for 2017/18 is Prof. Christopher James, an academic from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom, who has been a member and volunteer with IEEE for over 25 years. He is a Biomedical Engineer and as well as volunteering within Region 8 he is also a volunteer within the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS). He is also Director of a start-up company called EMbody Biosignals Ltd. He can be contacted via e-mail at: c.j,email@example.com
The IEEE REGION 8 Technical Activities believes in:
- Inclusiveness – Embracing diversity of Region 8 members and their careers. Respecting each other’s values with honesty and transparency.
- Networking – Creating an engaged, interactive community of technical professionals from both industry and academic sectors
- Professionalism – Maintaining the highest level of professional and ethical standards.
- Technical Excellence – Disseminating high quality scientific and technical information in a timely, equitable and objective manner.
- Volunteerism – The driving force of Region 8 Technical Activities
Goals of IEEE REGION 8 Operating Committee (OpCom):
Following are the proposed 2011 IEEE REGION 8 OpCom Goals:
- Build a friendly atmosphere within the Region
- Increase the number of young engineering members from the industry
- Encourage chapters and student branches to enhance their activity
- Continue the implementation of best practices
Long Term Goals of REGION 8 Technical Activities:
- Industry and Practitioners – Industry professionals and their employers will value IEEE Region 8 TA as major resource to achieve success
- Information and Knowledge Development – Knowledge generators will regard IEEE Region 8 TA as the organization of choice to promote innovative technical communities
- Education – Region 8 TA will improve professional competencies by providing targeted education and support for students and professionals
- Community Collaboration – IEEE Region 8 TA will foster a dynamic ecosystem where technical communities preserve their individuality but at the same time collaborate in an open environment where the total value is greater than the sum of the parts.
- Organization and Structure – IEEE Region 8 TA will be a best of class model organization allowing balance between consistency and autonomy
IEEE REGION 8 Technical Activities Subcommittees & Coordinators:
REGION 8 TA Members email: R8TA@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
1. Chapter Coordination Subcommittee [ChCSC]
- Amara Amara (France) – Chair
2. Conference Coordination Subcommittee [CoCSC]
- Peter Nagy (Hungary) – Chair
- Adel Alimi (Tunisia) – Past Chair
- Tomislav Capuder (Croatia)
- Shaun Kaplan (South Africa)
3. Educational Activities Subcommittee [EASC]
- Sohaib Qamer Sheikh (UKRI) – Chair
- Marios Antoniou (Cyprus) – Chair
5. Standards Coordinator [SA]
- David Law (UKRI) – Chair
Submission to Region 8 Newsletter