About IEEE Region 8 Humanitarian Activities Committee Recently updated !
Mission and Goals
The IEEE Region 8 Humanitarian Activities Committee (HuAC) mission is to inspire and enable IEEE volunteers around Europe, Middle East and Africa to carry out and support impactful humanitarian technologies and sustainable development activities. In particular, our goals include:
- Building the optimal humanitarian team in the Region.
- Mentoring existing SIGHT groups and prospective groups.
- Supporting SIGHT groups activities and encouraging them to participate in Regional humanitarian activities.
- Increasing visibility of Humanitarian Activities within the Region.
- Raising awareness of ongoing HTB/SIGHT activities and encouraging submission of project proposals.
- Encouraging reporting of activities via vTools by monitoring and reaching out.
- Encouraging celebration of SIGHT Week across the Region.
- Encouraging Student and Young Professional involvement in Humanitarian Activities.
- Encouraging and highlighting the women involvement in humanitarian activities.
- Organizing R8 Humanitarian Activities Congress and collaborating in organizing humanitarian conferences.
- Collaborating with other IEEE OUs and with external organizations on humanitarian projects.
- Recognizing exceptional SIGHT Groups and volunteers.
Programs and Initiatives
- Community Support Program: Provides support to R8 SIGHT Groups to implement community support projects to address local community challenges.
- Connecting Humanitarian Experts: Webinars on humanitarian topics presented by an expert in the field.
- Humanitarian Ambassadors Program: Supports and trains volunteers to share IEEE humanitarian opportunities across our Region and impact the local communities.
- R8 Humanitarian Activities Congress: Brings together R8 SIGHT group members to share results, lessons learnt and experience with peers across the Region, and to discuss and address various humanitarian and community development projects, as well as to promote the use of technology for social good.
- R8 Humanitarian Technologies Hackathon: Fosters competition amongst IEEE and SIGHT members, through their solutions to specific humanitarian challenges and targets tech proposals around specific UN SDGs.
- SIGHT Groups Accelerator Program: Provides R8 SIGHT Groups with a seed funding for the new year activities based on their humanitarian efforts and activities of the past year.
- SIGHT Groups Coordination Workshops: Provides support and guidance to R8 SIGHT Groups to overcome any operational or organizational issues and obstacles they face or could face in the future and to ensure their optimal functioning.
- Humanitarian Voices: Delivers news articles regarding humanitarian activities and initiatives across our Region supported by photos on the field, and highlight the achievements of SIGHT groups and inspire volunteers.
- Humanitarian Meets STEM Initiative: Targets to spread IEEE Humanitarian Efforts and introduce sustainable development goals to pre-university students.
- Humanitarian Opportunities from Societies Initiative: Targets to boost collaboration an partnerships between R8 HuAC and Societies.
Current Opportunities and Upcoming Events
- SIGHT Groups Regional Report: This form will be used to hear from R8 SIGHT leaders about their Groups and how we can improve our support in order to ensure their optimal functioning
- Humanitarian Voices: SIGHT Groups can showcase and share their achievements in order to get published in R8 News and inspire volunteers across Europe, Middle East and Africa
Crafting Persuasive HTB/SIGHT Project Proposals Workshop
- About: This workshop is your gateway to creating convincing project proposals for the HTB/SIGHT projects program. We are thrilled to have Mr. Lwanga Herbert, the esteemed IEEE Humanitarian Technologies Board (HTB) 2023 Chair, as our distinguished speaker.
- Speaker: Mr. Lwanga is the IEEE Humanitarian Technologies Board (HTB) 2023 Chair. He developed a variety of innovations to address corresponding community challenges. These innovations were patented with the support of the Uganda National Council for Science and Technology. He has made several contributions within the IEEE community, which includes implementing humanitarian projects and programs in Uganda with IEEE support.
- Important Info: June 3rd, 2023 (3:00 – 4:00 PM GMT) – Online (via Google Meet) – Registration Required