Benefit from R8 WIE Mentorship Program!
The Mentorship Program starts by sharing your successful events with R8 WIE by email (email@example.com) or Facebook. With this program, you can:
- Participate as a mentor: suggest a successful event you held in your Section and would like to help replicate in another Section
- Participate as a mentee: suggest an event you would like to host in your Section, and we will find a mentor who has previously organized a similar one to help you!
The proposed list of events includes but is not limited to:
Section and SB AGs can participate in various events organized within their Section. Examples:
- Be present in Section events under the name of IEEE WIE as much as possible
- Volunteer to help your Section organize its activities such as conferences, workshops, etc.
- Have a short plenary session during IEEE Day and other events to introduce WIE
- Remember, the Section is always there to support you with organizing your own events too!
- WIE Leadership Summits
- Panel where 2 to 5 successful women in STEM are invited to present short talks and interact with attendees during a Q&A session
- Coffee talks
- Seminar related to women in STEM (status, achivements, challenges faced, etc.)
- Participate in / organize a celebration for the International Women’s day (March 8)
- Contact companies in various fields of technology and offer to introduce IEEE and WIE to their employees during a short session
Professional development events. Examples:
- Leadership workshop
- Body language workshop
- Interview training sessions
- Engineering ethics discussions
Social responsibility activities:
- Give computer or Internet introductory sessions in remote underprivileged areas
- Participate in / organize a breast cancer awareness campaign in October
- Visit orphanages, hospitals, refugee camps to spend some time with the less fortunate
- Collaborate with a charity or NGO and offer to help (maybe they need an engineer to help them fix something, or just someone to help out with their activities…)
- Collaborate with other NGOs targeting women and participate in their activities whenever possible
- Find an engineering solution to a community problem. You can even participate in EPICS in IEEE!
Although the aspect of WIE (as well as all IEEE Affinity Groups) is non-technical, Section and Student Branch AGs are encouraged to participate in the technical conferences / workshops organized within their Section:
- Volunteer with the organizing team
- Help with advertisement and news spreading
- Distribute flyers introducing WIE
- Give a small appreciation gift for female researchers who presented their papers and / or for female speakers
- Have a booth and distribute introductory flyers and promotional material to the participants (link)
- Organize competitions, which may not necessarily be technical. Be creative!
In-Section collaboration among AGs:
- Section AGs are encouraged to keep constant connection with SB AGs within their Section
- Section AGs are encouraged to identify SBs within their Section where new WIE SB AGs could be formed, and support these SB AGs during their formation stage
- Section AGs are encouraged to supervise and mentor newly created SB AGs within their Section
- SB AGs are encouraged to keep constant connection with their Section’s AG
- SB AGs are encouraged to closely cooperate with their SB, and mutually help each other in all activities within the Student Branch
- Remember: collaboration is key to success!
Don’t forget to have fun! Organize the following activities for your AG members, and possibly for all the Section’s AG and SB AG members:
- Casual Outing
- Movie screening or going to the cinema
- Pizza night
- Camping, ski trips, etc.
- Group games, such as “escape the room” and others
- Sports tournament
- Rally paper
Important: send us your news and pictures taken during each event: contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and on Facebook! Also, contact us if you want to be a mentor or mentee, and if you have any questions or suggestions for more events as well!