Beyond the award: Clementina Saduwa
Who is Clementina Saduwa?
Clementina Saduwa was a dedicated, tireless student leader and extremely effective volunteer a few years back, when the IEEE Nigeria Section was being revived. She even went on to become the first ever IEEE Region 8 Women in Engineering (WIE) Coordinator. In January 2007, she was killed in a random act of violence at the age of 29, leaving behind her husband and young daughter.
May your soul rest in Peace, Clementina!
Objectives of the Award
To honor Clementina and as a tribute to her work throughout the years, IEEE Region 8 gave her name to the prestigious award recognizing outstanding women engineers who, through their engineering and career achievements, have demonstrated noteworthy support for women in the profession and have established a record of excellence.
Nominations will be reviewed by the IEEE Region 8 WIE and Awards and Recognition Subcommittees, who will select a winner.
Eligibility and Selection
The winner selection is based on various criteria, including CV, personal statement, level of difficulties in achieving a professional career, reference letters, among others.
The eligible candidate must be
- An active female engineer working in one of the fields of interest of IEEE
- An IEEE member whose engineering and career achievements are performed in one of the countries belonging to the IEEE Region 8
- The submitted application must provide a statement (750 words maximum) that describes the candidate’s career goals, challenges and obstacles she faced in her career, and explains how she overcame them
- The nominator (who could be a non-IEEE member) has to submit at least two signed endorsement letters from individuals (References) who are qualified to evaluate the candidate’s success (colleagues, teachers, and others). Additional optional endorsement letters from public or private establishments can be provided
- The award can be offered to a candidate one time only.
Amount of the Award:
Set to 1000 USD, the Clementina Saduwa award will be presented to the winner at the IEEE Region 8 Meeting. Nominations are accepted through the IEEE Awards portal. For more information, please email email@example.com