The Region 8 Outstanding Section Award is being established with the goal of recognizing excellent performance by Region 8 Sections. Three categories of award will be made.
- Large Section = 1,501 or more members (including Students) as of 31 December of the past year
- Medium Section = 501–1,500 members (including Students) as of 31 December of the past year
- Small Section = 500 or fewer members (including Students) as of 31 December of the past year
The Award is for outstanding success of a Section in fulfilling its goals – in accordance with IEEE policy – by organizing technical, professional and geographic activities for the benefit of its members and by maintaining, enhancing, and supporting the Student Branches, Chapters, and Affinity Groups within its geographic boundaries.
The award will be entitled “The IEEE Region 8 Outstanding Section Award”.
(a) All Region 8 Sections are eligible and can apply for one of the three awards according to their relative size.
(b) No Section may receive two Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards within three years.
(c) Two Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards will be presented annually. One large Section (1,501 or more members (including Students) as of 31 December of the previous year), one medium Section (501 – 1500 members (including Students) as of 31 December of the previous year) and one small Section award (500 or fewer members (including Students) as of 31 December of the previous year).
- Conditions for nomination
(a) Nominations must be submitted using the Region 8 Awards portal.
(b) A statement must be included in the nomination that identifies the specific activities performed by the Section that qualify it to be an outstanding Section in Region 8.
(c) The Nomination Form must be completed by a nominator familiar with the work of the Section.
(d) The nominated Section must have satisfied all of the IEEE reporting requirements on time.
- Basis of the award
The following aspects and activities are considered in the selection of the Outstanding Section and should be part of the nomination documents:
- The completed nomination form must be submitted before the deadline;
- Section submission of financial, officer and meeting reports is a necessary condition for award. nomination;
- Data concerning member retention of the section.
- Data about number of Student Branches relative to the number of Technical universities within the Section’s geographic boundaries;
- Report concerning the activities of YP / WIE / Life Members Affinity Groups … etc. within the Section, or the plans for their formation ;
- Report about Student Branches activities (e.g. Student paper contest, recruitment of Student members, etc.);
- Report about technical and professional activities, (e.g. professional meetings, continuing educational activities, conferences, workshops, chapters’ technical meetings, use of IEEE distinguished lecturers Program, etc…).
- Activities related to membership development within the section.
- Report concerning means of communications with Section members, including the frequency of newsletter issues, e-mail newsletters, regular updating of Section, Chapters, and Student Branches Web pages;
- Community projects and services that increase public visibility of IEEE.
Other criteria used for the selection of the Outstanding Section :
- Relationship of Section to National Societies, other non-IEEE organizations and industry.
- Conferences sponsored by the Section.
- Public events held by the Section to help improve the visibility of IEEE and its members.
- Activities performed in the Section on behalf of society and the engineering profession.
The adjudicators are the members of the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee.