Beyond the Award: Clementina Saduwa
Clementina Saduwa was a dedicated, tireless student leader and extremely effective volunteer a few years back when IEEE Nigeria Section was being revived. She went on to become the first ever IEEE Region 8 Women in Engineering (WIE) coordinator. In January 2007, she was killed in a random act of violence at the age of 29, leaving behind her husband and young daughter. To honor her and as a tribute to her work throughout the years, IEEE Region 8 gave her name to the prestigious award recognizing outstanding women engineers who, through their engineering and career achievements, have demonstrated noteworthy support for women in the profession and established a record of excellence.
Nominations will be reviewed by the WIE R8 Sub-Committee, who will select a winner. The winner will then be, as a second step, validated by the R8 Awards and Recognition Sub-Committee. The following criteria will be considered for the review of nominations:
1) An active female engineer working in one of the fields of interest of IEEE.
2) A female IEEE member whose engineering and career achievements are performed in one of the countries belonging to the IEEE Region 8.
3) The submitted application must provide a statement (not more than 750 words) that describes the candidate’s career goals, challenges and obstacles she faced in her career, and explains how she overcame them.
4) The nominator (who could be a non-IEEE member) or self-nominated has to submit at least two signed endorsement reference letters from individuals who are qualified to evaluate the candidate’s success (supervisors, professors, and others). Additional optional endorsement letters from public or private establishments can be provided.
5) The award may be offered to a candidate one time only.
The award recipient will receive 1000 USD. The winner will be personally invited to that R8 meeting.
Nominations are accepted until June 30 2022 through IEEE Region 8 Awards Portal