IEEE Region 8 LM Coordinator: Péter Magyar
It is a privilege to be an IEEE Life Member (LM) with so much to contribute back to the engineering community and to the public in general. You are entitled to become a LM when your chronological age is at least 65 and the sum of your age and of your active membership duration reaches 100. Life Members are exempted of IEEE membership fees and pay lower fees at IEEE Conferences (at most – IEEE Student fees).
Most Life Member activities are performed by Life Member Affinity Groups (LMAG), similar to Chapters, established as part of an IEEE Section.
In summary the mission of Life Members Groups is to:
- Enhance and encourage interest in electrical and electronic engineering at secondary and tertiary (college) levels.
- Utilize the vast experience of LMs to impact the general public’s knowledge of electrical and electronic engineering and increase understanding of the role of engineers.
- Foster collaborations in pre-university education and encourage students to consider taking up engineering as a career.
- Promulgate the history of electrical engineering together with information and related technologies.
IEEE Region 8 Life Members Ad-Hoc Subcommittee for 2022 is consisted of the following IEEE Region 8 volunteers:
|Victor Fouad Hanna
UK & Ireland Section
UK & Ireland Section
There are currently 18 LMAGs in the Region. Two petitions are pending. These, including the contact details for the Chairs, are;
Section / LMAG SPOID
AG Chair Name
AG Chair email
|Benelux, LM80001||Wilhelm C Van Ettenemail@example.com|
|Croatia, LM80065||Zoran Vukicfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Czechoslovakia, LM80071||Andre Sopczakemail@example.com|
|Egypt, LM80003||Samir I Shaheenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|France, LM80005||Bernadette Bouchon-Meunieremail@example.com|
|Germany, LM80017||Hagen Hultzschfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Greece, LM80029||Konstantina Nikitaemail@example.com|
|Hungary, LM80051||Imre J Rudasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Israel, LM80009||Shmuel Austeremail@example.com|
|Italy, LM80011||Antonio Savinifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jordan, LM80079||Mohammed Zeki Khedher Mohammedemail@example.com|
|Lebanon, LM80091||Usamah O Farrukhfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North Macedonia,LM80077||Goce Arsovemail@example.com|
|Poland, LM80033 (pending petition)||Adam Dabrowskifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Romania, LM80061||Mircea Eremiaemail@example.com|
|Slovenia, LM80067||Baldomir Zajcfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Spain, LM80023||Rafael Martinezemail@example.com|
|Switzerland, LM80007||Hugo Wyssfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Türkiye, LM80055 (Pending petition)||Tuncer Baykas & Erdal Panayirciemail@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|UK and Ireland, LM80015||Brian Harringtonemail@example.com|
Website of the IEEE Life Members Committee:
LMAG Funds :
- Funding of activities is provided by Life Members Committee (LMC), Region 8 and IEEE Foundation
- A rebate of $200 to the Section is provided annually from IEEE Member and Geographic Activities Board
- Groups that report at least two meetings annually will receive the $200 rebate. The rebate is increased to $275 for groups with six or more reports annually.
- Groups are authorized by the IEEE Life Members Committee an annual budget not exceeding $2,000 towards meetings or activities approved in advance by the Regional LM Coordinator. The funding will be provided upon actual expenses.
Approval and Reimbursing Process:
- The funding request pre-approval of the R8 LM Coordinator by using the LMAG Fund Request Form _ Pre-approval Form
- Submission of expense report incl. the signed pre-approval form and invoices,
- either via Concur ( http://https://corporate.ieee.org/resources/travel-medical-and-insurance/ieee-expense-report ) for out of pocket expenses; the money will be transferred to the personal bank account
- or via Expense Report Form 2022 , signed by R8 LM Coordinator, submitted to IEEE LMC (John Day, Director, Member Products and Programs at IEEE and Laura Hall, Contracting Sales Administrator at IEEE); the money will be transferred to the Section
Types of activities of Life Member Affinity Groups:
- Technical Lectures, joint activities with parent Section, visits to museums and technical sites, social gathering, luncheons
- Using existing groups’ experience, typical activities can range from: invited talks and seminars, technology-oriented meetings, history workshops and conferences, oral histories, and dialogue with other professional institutions, to initiating technical milestones, monitoring outside technical archives, museum projects, and social activities.
- In their Sections, LM Groups should cooperate with other Society chapters, affinity groups (YP and WIE) as well as with student branches – on common projects. They can work together in IEEE Foundation Grants Program, which are supported by MGA Life Members Committee. We encourage the forming of “History teams” to preserve the History of technological developments in which people participated through the use of the IEEE Global History Network (www.ieeeghn.org) and Engineering and Technology History Wiki – ethw.org
- For any advice or question, please contact Péter Magyar, IEEE Region 8 Life Members Coordinator
To form a new Affinity Group:
- look at the informative map above and the full list of affinity groups to see if you are already part of it
- find out if there is already an existing IEEE Section in your country – full list can be found here
- a petition to establish a LM Group requires the signature of 6 IEEE Members, including at least 2 Life Members
- if there is an IEEE Section in your country but not a LM AG, you are eligible to submit a petition – check the Guide to establish a new LMAG
Practical Advices in Administration and Holding Meetings:
For finding the list of names of your LMAG members:
- go to IEEE OU Analytics (login and password of member IEEE)
- choose “Memberships, subscriptions and more”
- under “Products” dropdown menu, choose only Life Members category and click apply
- see the “Details” tab
- the list of your members appears (you can export as table)
- you can also contact your Section or R8 Ad-hoc Subcommittee Chair Péter Magyar
For declaring the names of officers of your LMAG:
- Go to https://officers.vtools.ieee.org
- If you are the present chair, you can add or change the officers by going to the concerned position, then go on “Add officer”. A window will be opened to asking you to give your N° of membership IEEE and the date of the start of your function. Go then on “Validate” and “Submit”
- If you are the new elected chair, go on “Chapter chair” and apply the same procedure..
For declaring your LMAG activities (event report):
- go to https://events.vtools.ieee.org/events/search
- login as IEEE member
- go to Event/Report Administration
- go to File >> Report for a Past Event
- OR go to Create an event
- two reports at least are required each year from any category (technical, professional, social, administrative)
For organizing elections:
For sending a message by e-Notice
For reserving a teleconference on Webex
- go to: http://sites.ieee.org/vtools/tools-ok/webex/webex-registration
- send your request to IEEE staff at least 5 days before the event