IEEE Region 8 LM Coordinator: Victor Fouad Hanna
It is a privilege to be an IEEE Life Member (LM) with so much to contribute back to the engineering community and to the public in general. You are entitled to become a LM when your chronological age is at least 65 and the sum of your age and of your active membership duration reaches 100. Life Members are exempted of IEEE membership fees and pay lower fees at IEEE Conferences (at most – IEEE Student fees).
Most Life Member activities are performed by Life Member Affinity Groups (LMAG), similar to Chapters, established as part of an IEEE Section.
In summary the mission of Life Members Groups is to:
- Enhance and encourage interest in electrical and electronic engineering at secondary and tertiary (college) levels.
- Utilize the vast experience of LMs to impact the general public’s knowledge of electrical and electronic engineering and increase understanding of the role of engineers.
- Foster collaborations in pre-university education and encourage students to consider taking up engineering as a career.
- Promulgate the history of electrical engineering together with information and related technologies.
There are currently 13 LMAGs in the Region. These, including the contact details for the Chair, are;
- Benelux: Wim van Etten (email@example.com)
- Croatia: Ursic Srebrenka. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- France: Victor Fouad Hanna (email@example.com)
- Germany: Hans Ludwig Hartnagel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Greece: Athanasios Safacas (email@example.com)
- Hungary: Peter Arato (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Israel: Jacob Baal Schem (email@example.com)
- Italy: Antonio Savini (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lebanon: Usamah Farrukh (email@example.com)
- Slovenia: Baldomir Zajc (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spain: Jose A Delgado-Penin (email@example.com)
- Switzerland: Hugo Wyss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UK and Ireland: Charles Turner (email@example.com)
Life Member activities in Region 8 are coordinated by an appointed member of the Region 8 Committee. Actually the Region 8 Life Member coordinator is Victor Fouad Hanna and he can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are encouraging all our Region 8 Sections with Life Members to establish a Life Member (LM) group. Life members are encouraged to make contact with their LMAG Chair to find out about opportunities to participate in Life member activities and to volunteer their services.
According to IEEE Life Member Group Procedures:
A petition to establish a LM Group requires the signature of 6 IEEE Members, including at least 2 Life Members.
In addition to a rebate of $200 to the Section, Life Member Groups are authorized by the IEEE Life Members Committee an annual budget not exceeding $1,000 towards meetings or activities approved in advance by the Regional LM Coordinator. The funding will be provided upon actual expenses. LM Groups which report at least two meetings annually, will receive the 200 $ rebate from IEEE Member and Geographic Activities Board
Life Member Affinity Groups : enable Life Members to retain active IEEE associations, contribute to the social good in their communities, advance the professional interests of IEEE, allow members to enjoy each other’s company.
Types of activities of Life Member Affinity Groups : Technical Lectures, Joint activities with parent Section, Visit to museums and technical sites, Social gathering, luncheons
Using existing groups’ experience, typical activities can range from: invited talks and seminars, technology-oriented meetings, history workshops and conferences, oral histories, and dialogue with other professional institutions, to initiating technical milestones, monitoring outside technical archives, museum projects, and social activities.
In their Sections, LM Groups should cooperate with other Society chapters, affinity groups (YP and WIE) as well as with student branches – on common projects.They can work together in IEEE Foundation Grants Program which are supported by MGA Life Members Committee We encourage the forming of “History teams” to preserve the History of technological developments in which people participated through the use of the IEEE Global History Network (www.ieeeghn.org) and Engineering and Technology History Wiki – ethw.org
For any advice or question, please contact email@example.com
Victor Fouad Hanna, IEEE Region 8 Life Members Coordinator